Friday, January 9, 2009

When Dr. HokieKev is away...

Last time Dr. HokieKev went away for more than one day, I decided to refinish some tables. Why not, right? So anyway, my dad gave my mom these table for their 10th Anniversary leading me to believe they were about 15 years old...apparently he got them at an antique store making me wrong about their age. I figured this task wouldn't be so hard as they do it on TV in under an hour all the time (on TV=true, very important to remember). I also decided that, since it was my first foray into furniture refinishing, I would only refinish the tops. This is what they looked like before- the first one was one table pre-sand the second one is the other table, post sand.



Here are the tables mid-way through.



And here they are two coats of stain and two coats of polyerathane later.



Probably not perfect, but I think they turned out pretty well for the first attempt. I won't say it was a hard ordeal because it wasn't, but it was slightly more time consuming then I originally thought. It also took three different kinds of sandpaper. Needless to say, I am a very big proponent of coasters now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! you did a great job. Now you know why I have glass tops on all of the tables and dressers!!!!!!love mommy